The older I get, the more I realize that it truly is the little things in life that can lift us up or bring us down. If you want to be poetic and mysterious just talk to the symmetrically named William Carlos Williams:
“so much depends
a red wheel
glazed with rain
beside the white
I love modern poetry even if no one else does. Let’s talk about the lifty up things and be grateful. Here’s a few of the little things I’ve noticed in my life lately. Don’t forget to tell me yours!
- When you hit the “stop” button on the microwave right before it beeps.
- When you call your cat’s name and he comes running as if he actually heard you and responds to the peasant name you try to enforce on him.
- Picking a bag of chips at Subway that seems extra puffy and you open it to find that indeed there are more chips than air.
- Foam soap.
- When you almost jam your finger in a door but then don’t
- Filling out a form in pen not only correctly but with nice penmanship just like yo mamma taught ya
- steeping your hot tea just long enough so that it’s flavorful but not too bold because you don’t need to drink bitter hot leaves in the morning
- Waking up three hours before you have to and getting that sweet sweet moment as you plop back onto your pillow
- A nap you didn’t plan and you wake up with a little puddle of drool
- the smell of coffee
- When you’re playing with a dog or cat and they get too excited and bite you a little bit and you have to tell them to stop but it’s also cute that they’re feeling ferocious
- brownies undercooked just enough to taste delicious but not poison you
- an unexpected letter from a friend
- the perfect song plays while you’re driving and it matches the weather outside and suddenly you’re in a movie and you drive the best you ever did but also look cool
- good ole room temperature h20
- holding a soft baby and their
delicioussoft and subtle aroma graces your nose
- asking someone for a tic tac and they give you two or three
I could think of a thousand little things to be grateful for, but I’ll stop here. Tell me yours! If you’re in a bad mood, tell me the little things that bring you down, but you better post at least two lifter uppers to make up for it!